But because I'm a smarty-pants times a million, I conned Paul Nadeau into going with me to order something with chicken and do the ol' switch-a-roo if I didn't like the lamb shawerma. Needless to say, I finished my meal with a chicken kebab. Now since I'm not the right person to review something with lamb in it, I have asked Paul to write a review for me.
Paul:
Thin marinated slices of lamb and beef, broiled tomatoes, parsley, seasoned onions, with tahini sauce on Lavash. Now, I love shawermas and I've had them from tons of different places I do prefer chicken normally, but obviously had to get the lamb one cause someone's a pussy. I do love lamb and obviously beef and this one was good, but that's all I can say -- it was good not great and not something for Food and Wine magazine to call one of the 75 best buys in the U.S. The meat had a really great earthy flavor and the seasoning either on the meat or the onions was great (lots of cumin). But it could have been better, there were too many onions and I'm paying for that now as are all my co-workers. The strong flavors of the meat drown out the Tahini sauce, so it obviously could have used more. And it could have use a few more sweet veggies, e.g. cucumbers (or sweet fruit as it were, all you fruit/veggie nazis stop being so technical) to counteract the earthy richness of the meat. I don't know if cucumbers are traditionally in shawermas but I get them in there sometimes and they always work so that would have been nice. Also of note, the size, you get a lot of food for the price $8. But now I want to take a nap. It's a fine line I guess. Would I go to this place again? Yeah if I am craving Mediterranean food and I'm in the Mission, but I might try something else (falafel?) Would I trek there for lunch during the week, no, I wouldn't. I'd just go to Oasis downtown.
Thanks Paul for taking one for the team.
Sidenotes: $8
Lamb shawermas served every day except Tuesday & Friday. On Tuesday & Friday, they have chicken shawermas.

the thing with shawermas is you gotta add tzatziki. always. most places i've found opt for tahini and tahini is the poor man's hummus (no, really, it is). adding tzatziki also doubles as adding cucumber. only way to go.
ReplyDelete