Saturday, April 10, 2010

#10: Nick’s Baja-style fish tacos at The Taco Shop at Underdogs

OMG, I love The Taco Shop at Underdogs on 19th & Irving. First of all, it's a sports bar -- and I don't think I've ever met a sports bar I didn't like. Second, they have pop-a-shot and old school video games. Third, they have buckets of beer. Fourth, they have purse hooks under the bar. And lastly, they have amazing tacos -- like #10 on 7x7's list: the baja-style fish taco. Now, fish tacos are never my first choice when I'm at a taqueria -- nor are they my second choice. I like them ... I just like pork, chicken and beef better. But I gotta tell you ... the fish taco was amazing.

The "baja-style fish taco" is beer battered fish in two soft corn tortillas with cilantro, cabbage, red onions and lime & roasted tomato salsas. There is also a very light and thin lime-y sour cream involved. You have the option to get the tacos "Nick's Way," which is one grilled crispy corn tortilla and one soft, filled with monterey jack cheese, pinto beans, pico de gallo and guacamole but you all know how I feel about beans in my tacos...

New favorite taco in my new favorite bar/taco shop.

Closer look.

It's not only the tacos that I thought were amazing here. Remember back in February when I went to La Papalote to try their chips & salsa? And remember when I said that it was good but it wasn't as good as that one Tortilla Heights salsa? Well, interesting connection here... The Taco Shop at Underdog's has the same salsas as Tortilla Heights! I should've known as Tortilla Heights has a couple tacos on their menu that are made through Nick too. Underdog's had squeeze bottles of the salsas up and down the bar -- so I was just going to town. Although to be quite honest, the taco had so much flavor, I didn't think it needed any salsa.

This is a definite must-go-to. I would love to go with any of you on a weekend to watch a Giants game. I'm dying to go back.

Sidenotes:
$4.50 for the fish taco.
Yes, the 'Nick' I speak of is from 'Nick's Crispy Tacos' fame.
Lots of TVs to watch your favorite team.
They had sangria that looked pretty good too.

1 comment: