It's been a couple of weeks since I've knocked one of these 7x7 adventures out, but in all fairness I went to Burma Superstar on March 31 ... I just haven't written about it yet!Meg, Jen and I went there because a) none of us had ever been there and b) the Samusa soup is on the 7x7 list and c) we like to hang out. It was actually a perfect day to go eat soup -- cold and dreary. The soup is a vegetarian soup -- made up of beans, samusas (basically just like Indian Samosas, just Burmese) falafels, lentils, cabbage, onions and a bunch of spices ... and it was TASTY! In fact, out of all the things we ordered, the soup was my favorite thing.
We also ordered the tea leaf salad (on last year's 7x7 list), the pumpkin pork stew, the beef kebat and the platha and dip (platha is a coconut chicken curry sauce that I pretty much wanted to bathe in.)
The tea leaf salad was very good but there was something going on with the dressing that I wasn't a fan of. Both the pumpkin pork stew and beef kebat were good and I'm pretty much a huge fan of coconut rice. Mmm...
After all the hype that I have heard about this place since I have lived here, I'm just not sure it lived up to it. I mean, it was good -- but I wasn't wowed or anything. I would definitely recommend the soup -- especially on a shitty day. It's your call.
Sidenotes:
$10 for Samusa soup (1-3 people)
Burma Superstar doesn't take reservations. We went at 6:00 p.m. and got the last open table. When we left, I heard the host tell some people that it would be a 40-minute wait.
You could potentially get out here really fast. They bring the food out like you called it in ahead of time.

No comments:
Post a Comment