Sunday, July 18, 2010

#83. French fries at Universal Cafe

The day of 7x7 fun ended with our trip to Universal Cafe for their french fries. I kinda felt like I did about the cheese pizza at Arinell, like, 'Really? French Fries? How good can these things be?' Well, what they do here to make their french fries so special, is that they toss in Italian parsley, sage and rosemary into the fryer with the french fries -- and what you get are herbed french fries with amazing flavor. It's an awesome concept. What wasn't awesome, was their "aioli" that they served them with. It was straight up mayo. I mean, if you're going to call something aioli, give me more than Best Foods (and this is coming from a girl who hearts mayo BIG time.) I ate them with the ketchup and they were damn good.

Ordered a bottle of Willamette Valley Vineyards Pinot Gris to wash our fries down with. Made this Oregon girl happy.

How cute is this place?

The place was adorable --and the menu was impressive. It was fancier than I thought it was going to be -- and I would totally come back. It's on a quiet street ... a little off the beaten path -- and would be a great date place.

Sidenotes:
$6 for a heaping plate of fries.
The chef is a woman, who believes in changing the menu constantly based on what's in season and what's available currently available at the local, organic markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment