Monday, July 19, 2010

#9: Tofu soup with kimchi at My Tofu House

Took the 38 Geary bus out to 10th and Geary to check out some tofu soup at My Tofu House. I thought this might be a vegetarian restaurant based on the name, but it's a Korean restaurant and there was pork in my soup, so there went that theory. You have your choice of beef or pork in the soup. My little Korean hipster waiter recommended the pork, so I went with that. While waiting for the soup, a different little Korean hipster comes out with all these side dishes filled with crazy stuff. There was pickled cabbage, pickled radish, pickled cucumber (which tasted like pickles ... natch), an egg, some chopped up anchovies (no thank you), some bean sprouts (they were tossed in sesame oil and tasted yummy) and a fish. Yes, a whole fish. Not a big fish, but still it was a whole fish and he had mini teeth and he was staring at me.

Sketchy from the outside. Not bad on the inside.


Cucumbers, bean sprouts and rice.


Anchovies, radish, cabbage, egg and that fish.


So here's a picture of the soup. It comes BOILING in a clay pot. You take the egg, crack it in, wait a few seconds and then stir it up. The soup was good. There's a lot going on, but I liked it -- and David and I both agreed that it would be great on a cold day. Would I come back? Eh, probably not. Nothing against the soup, but if I'm going to trek out to that 'hood, I'm going to check out a different restaurant that I've never been to.

I think this soup might just be on the list because of the novelty of it all. Kind of like how I felt about Dosa. It's more for the experience than the taste.

Sidenotes:
$10.05
Yes, I tried the fish and it was super fishy. Ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment