Monday, March 15, 2010

#14: Beef brisket sandwich at Il Cane Rosso

What a lucky girl I am! The last two 7x7 food experiences have been sandwiches that I get to RAVE about!

This time it was the 'Prather Ranch Beef Brisket' sandwich from Il Cane Rosso and well ... it's up there in the ranks, people. It is prepared, "al pizzaiolo with parmigiano and basil" and as far as I could tell the "al pizzaiolo" part means that it has some sort of tomato-based sauce on the bread. When you combine that with the basil and parm, it ends up tasting like a beef pizza sandwich and it's just about the most juicy, mouth-watering, flavorful sandwich I've ever had. In fact, I liked it more than the porchetta sandwich from Roli Roti. The trick with this one is that it's not on the menu everyday, so I've had to keep my eye out on their website (which they update daily ... RAD) to see when they're serving it again. In my opinion, they should serve it everyday -- but I'm guessing the legwork that goes into slow cooking that beef for so long must require too much time to have everyday. Anyway, I am highly recommending this to you guys. I've never had anything quite like this sandwich -- and I completely agree that it should be one of the 100 things to eat in San Francisco before you die! Let's just hope I don't eat so many that I do die.

Sidenotes:
$9 (a little on the spendy side for a sandwich -- but I'm not going to say it's not worth it.)
I split this sandwich with Paul for lunch, and as you can see from the picture, we got baked beans too. Not your traditional baked beans with that really smoky flavor. More mild with a very strong taste of rosemary. Really good though.

Il Cane Rosso is IN the Ferry Building like Hog Island Oyster Co., not outside at one of the stands on Thursdays/Saturdays.

3 comments:

  1. this sando was awesome. And I can't wait to get it again. Better than the Porcetta? Not sure, but it's very very close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the egg salad here is super yummy as well...

    ReplyDelete