.jpg)
Met Paul to go to the Ferry Building to try the beef brisket sandwich from Il Cane Rosso, but they didn't have it today. So I was going to get some ginger snaps from Miette but they were out. Finally, I wanted to try Scream Sorbet since that's on the list too, but they're only there on certain days. So we went to Hog Island Oyster Co. to get the clam chowder.
OMG, the clam chowder was GOOD. It's not your typical chowder ... it's not thick at all. And it's FULL of clams ... steamers clams ... in their shells. 18 of them! I tend to favor the more traditional clam chowder -- full of potatoes and celery, super creamy .. like Mo's! But this was impressive. Not full of vegetables, but still very much full of flavor. I would totally get this again.
Paul got the steamer clams -- which were served exactly like the chowder but instead of the chowder, they were served in a brothy soup. You could smell the wine and garlic and shallot -- and he got 18 clams too!
Oh, and the bread they serve from Acme Bread Co. is fantastic. Great for soaking up the steamer clam broth or the chowder.
Sidenotes:
$14 for the chowder (for the steamer clams as well).
Somebody ordered the grilled cheese and it smelled so God Damn GOOD. Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Cow Girls' Mezzo Secco, cave-aged Gruyere and Fromage Blanc served with house made pickled vegetables. Yes please.
Great view of the bay and the Bay Bridge. Even if you don't like chowder or oysters, go here when you're at the Ferry Building for a glass of wine and enjoy the view!

I love clams!
ReplyDeleteBearded clams?
ReplyDeleteall kinds
ReplyDeleteGross.
ReplyDeleteyou brought it up
ReplyDeleteRegrettably.
ReplyDelete